Since the theme this week is picky eaters I thought I would share with you one of my son’s favourite healthy treats. What I like about this dessert is that it’s tasty so you can serve it to your child with little resistance and offers nutritional value. Here is what is good about this pudding:
- Chia seeds are a great source of fiber, calcium, are a complete protein, a source of healthy fat and are the richest vegetable source of omega 3 fatty acids. Unlike the flaxseed they do not have to be ground to absorb the omega 3 fatty acids.
- Coconut milk is a great source of healthy fat, fiber, manganese, copper, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. This can be helpful for weight management, blood sugar maintenance and can help support healthy blood pressure.
- Naturally sweetened
- An easy way to increase your child’s fruit and antioxidant intake
- 2 cups of milk substitute (1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup of dairy free milk substitute- rice, almond, soy, flax or oat)
- 1/2 cup ground (or whole) chia seeds
- 3 ripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup ground coconut
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp kelp (salt substitute but can salt to taste instead)
- 2 tsp organic raw sugar (maple syrup) or local honey
- Fresh fruit (banana, blueberries, strawberries etc) for garnish or layering
- Grind chia seeds in a coffee grinder. Or skip this step, chia will gelatinize whole or ground.
- In a mixer, combine milk and chia seeds.
- Add mash bananas, ground coconut, kelp, sugar, and vanilla. Mix for 2 minutes on low.
- Put in fridge for 20 minutes to gel up.
- Layer the pudding with fruit & sliced banana and garnish with shreds of coconut
I have held off on introducing honey to my son until 18 months, so if you are going to serve this to your infant, you can as young as 9-12 months, just use maple syrup instead. Or just do it without the sweetener as the bananas may be enough for your wee one. Check out my post on food introduction to learn more.
Let me know what your family thinks of this healthy dessert, I am sure you won’t be disappointed.
In health & happiness,
Dr. Michelle Peris is a Naturopathic Doctor whose goal is to inspire health through educating, motivating and empowering people. She has a family based practice out of a clinic in Oakville, Ontario.
Contact Dr. Michelle today to book your 15 minute complimentary consult.