Did you know that the average person gains between two and seven pounds between Halloween and New Year’s! In fact, roughly 75% of annual weight gain takes place during the holiday season!! According to researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), most people never lose the weight they gain during the winter holidays. The pounds add up year after year, making holiday weight gain a prominent factor in adult obesity.
So what can you do to make this a weight gain free holiday for you, aside from locking yourself up in your own home and avoiding temptation? There are some basic nutrition rules you can follow to avoid these staggering statistics.
- Never go to a party hungry.
- Focus on socializing. Catch up with your family and friends.
- Load up on protein. It will keep your insulin levels balanced, helping you make wiser decisions about food.
- Watch your alcohol consumption. Know what’s in that cocktail!
- Be choosey about sweets. Moderation is key.
- Walk it off! Put on your parka and go for a nice romantic stroll after dinner.
These are just a few simple suggestions that I stick to during the holidays. Don’t deprive yourself and just remember that moderation is key.
In great health & happiness,
Dr. Michelle Peris is a Naturopathic Doctor whose goal is to inspire health through educating, motivating and empowering people. She has a family based practice out of a clinic in Oakville, Ontario.
Contact Dr. Michelle today to book your 15 minute complimentary consult.