Tis the season to enjoy all things pumpkin! I had some pumpkin puree left over from this stellar dessert I made for thanksgiving (I will post it as well) so I whipped up a little breakfast treat. In previous years, pumpkin has not something that I have been all that comfortable baking with or swapping it in a recipes as an alternative so I haven’t used it all that much. However, this year I have made delicious desserts, eaten pumpkin pancakes and made smoothies with it- so bring it on!
Now if we were talking pumpkin seeds, that is a different story… I am a major fan of all things pumpkin seeds; butter and well, the seed (I guess that about sums it up) 😉 nonetheless I can’t get enough of it. I use it in all my baked goods as an alternative to peanut butter, smear it on apple slices or sometimes just straight out of the jar- clearly I am a little obsessed.
I even learned how to make my own pumpkin puree this year (it’s quite easy actually)
Here is what I did:
1) Set oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
2) Slice pie pumpkin in half, remove all the seeds and guts
3) place on a cookie sheet facing down and let roast for 45-60 minutes, until soft
4) Remove the skin and add the pumpkin into a food processor
Voila! Homemade pumpkin puree, so simple and absolutely delicious!
This year I am impressed with all things pumpkin. I hope you enjoy this smoothie as much as I did.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (homemade or canned)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 4 dates
- 1 serving protein powder- I like ND Shake by Orange Naturals
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- ½ cup ice
- Add all the ingredients into your blender, blend & enjoy!
With love & food,